Musculoskeletal pain, as its name suggests is basically a muscular pain that has its effect on the bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves. It can either be localized in one place or it can spread in other parts of the body. This pain can be felt by anyone out there, belonging to any age group be it the children, the office goers or the athletes.
The causes that lead to chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
The most common cause of a musculoskeletal pain is the injury that is occurred in the areas namely, bones, tendons, joints, muscles, ligaments or nerves. The injury to these areas often occurs because of some car accidents, falls, fractures, sprains, dislocation and the direct blows to the muscle.
Moreover, it has been reported that musculoskeletal pain due to overuse of the muscles has affected almost 33% of the adults. Because of overuse, lower back pain is said t be the most common type of musculoskeletal pain faced by many at work.
How to Know if it’s Musculoskeletal Pain or not?
Symptoms of this type of pain vary from person to person considering whether the pain is caused by some injury or the overuse of the joints. The common symptoms of musculoskeletal pain include:
- Sleep disturbances
- Twitching muscles
- Stiffness and pain in the entire body
- Either localized or widespread pain that becomes worse with the movement
- The burning feeling in your muscles
- Feeling that your muscles have become overworked or have become pulled
How is the Pain Diagnosed?
Your doctor will first examine your medical history thoroughly. He/she will also go through all the possible causes that might have lead to chronic musculoskeletal pain. Certain laboratory tests and x-rays will also be conducted in order to know about the pain in detail. These tests include:
- Performing blood test to confirm whether its rheumatoid arthritis or not
- To know about all the bones in details, x-rays are performed
- For a further detail look on the bones, CT scans are performed
- In order to examine in detail, the soft tissues such as muscles, cartilage, ligaments and tendons MRIs are performed
If you or any of your loved one is suffering from chronic musculoskeletal pain or any other body pain, get a professional advice from Dr. Zaki Anwar by placing an appointment at (815) 464-7212). He is an expert anesthesiologist and certified Pain Management Specialist who has been practicing pain relief techniques for the past several years with effective results.