Intradiscal electrothermal therapy (IDET) is a new and minimally invasive treatment for spinal disc-related chronic low back pain. This sort of disc pain is believed to be occurred by nerve fibers which grow at their normal location in the layers which are outside of the disc, going into the disc interior. This is associated to the breakdown (Degeneration) of the hard outer layers (Annulus) of the disc. The injury is also behind the pain in the disc, forcing material in the center (Nucleus) of the disc to go into outer layers of the disc. This material produces irritation for the outer layers, where the nerves exist and it causes pain.
The process is carried out as
- Your doctor may use local anesthesia and mild sedation to eliminate the discomfort while the procedure takes place.
- Your doctor will have the facility of X-ray images, and by that he or she will take a needle into the injured disc.
- The spineCaTH chather is taken through the needle and into the disc.
- Once it is confirmed to be in the accurate position, the temperature of the heating section of the catheter is increased, increasing the disc wall temperature.
- As the therapy is completed, the catheter and needle are taken out, and you will be sent to home with a band- Aid on the needle inserting site.
Am I a candidate?
If your one or two discs causing the lower back pain, then it means that it indicates that you are the right candidate for the IDET therapy. But proper consultation with doctor must require in order to confirming whether you are a candidate for that or not.
How long will this procedure take?
This procedure does not take more than one hour, it means it does not take your much time and you may leave for a home on the day of your treatment.
How long will it take to recover?
The discomfort occurs when your disc is heated and it might take several days to disappear, and your doctor will suggest you pain removing medication.
It has been seen that within 12 to 16 weeks after the procedure, most patients have experienced relief from pain and it shows that the success ratio of this treatment is good and people are start looking for this treatment for their unbearable pain.