Most people do not know Botox® injections are not only used to eliminate the fine lines and wrinkles, but also for controlling chronic pain, including back and nerve pain. Botox® is knows as purified protein, extracted from bacteria, which helps in relaxing muscles. Botox® has been certified by the FDA for the treatment of spasm around the eye, imbalances of muscle of the neck, eye wandering and wrinkles in the forehead. Botox® has been used successfully for treating various other medical conditions since 1989, including spasticity, myofascial pain, back pain, neck pain, headache, and overactive sweat glands.
The process is carried out as
- Fine needle is used to enter Botox® straight away into the muscles that are suspected to be overactive or painful.
- As Botox® relaxes these muscles, pain may eliminate, and overactive muscles can get weak.
- Your doctor may use electromyographic machine to confirm that Botox® has gone into the muscles or not.
- Botulinum toxin is combined with saline or with local anesthetic and then inserted into the muscle with small needle.
- Any number of injections between five and 10 you might be needed.
Am I a Candidate?
If you suffer from any sort of chronic pain, that indicates you can be the right candidate for Botox® treatment. By examining your nerve pain, back pain or other chronic pain conditions, your doctor will decide whether Botox® is right for you or not.
How long will this procedure take?
It is not as long treatment as other conservative treatments, and it gets done within few minutes
How long will it take to recover?
Botox® start showing its effects in 10 to 14 days, and the effectiveness mostly remains for three to four months. Some patients experience the pain relief till six months.
The best part of it that these injections are really helpful in order to release the pain;you can start experiencing its benefits within seven days after the treatment.