The result of a compression fracture that is the spinal compression fracture is the ultimate collapse or destruction of the spinal bone. In order to treat this chronic condition Vertebroplasty has been proved as an outpatient procedure.
The aim of this surgical procedure is to minimize or eliminate the pain caused by the fracture.
The Process is carried out as…
This Process is carried out in a hospital or in an outpatient clinic. To begin with the treatment you will be given the following:
- Local anesthesia, so that you will be unable to feel the pain.
- You will be given medicines that would help make you relax and provide easiness in sleep.
- Face down on a table the specialist will clean the area of your back and apply medicine to it.
- Then a needle is placed into the skin bone. To target the correct area for incision, x-ray images are used.
Am I a Candidate?
Patients going through the following:
- Facing acute, debilitating and/or sudden pain at the back
- Those patients who have gone through a trial conservative therapy and have witnessed no improvement in pain
Are eligible for this treatment.
How long the Procedure takes?
Vertebroplasty takes few hours to complete.
How long will it take to recover?
If the doctor prescribes then you will be able to go home on the day of surgery. After the procedure you will be able to:
- Walk; however its best to stay in bed for at least 24 hours.
- Return to your normal schedule after 24 hours
- Do most of the work, but heavy lifting and strenuous activities must be avoided
The area where you are feeling the pain after the incision, you must treat it with cold ice.
Having less pain, patients opting for this procedure will enjoy a better quality of life. They will experience overall bodily improvement and thus move better than before.