Wandering in our thoughts here and there, or doing a task while thinking of something else very keenly, we meet the so called mini accidents on our way; leading to none other than the slip and fall injuries also known as the trips. This is the usual case with most of us, that we get distracted on our way and our this activity leads us to sometimes, a scary stumble, down the stairway or a trip resulting in severe injuries.
In accordance with the US Department of Labor, the majority of the cases are of slip and fall injuries.
Why Do Such Accidents Occur?
Generally, the main reason behind slip and fall injury cases is the traction that occurs between the shoe and the walking surface making a situation of any one to stumble easily. We have described some of the reasons that can lead to numerous injuries:
- The areas that are full of clutter
- Walking from the damaged ladder steps
- Dry floors with wood dust or powder
- Electrical cords or cables
- Loose flooring, carpeting or mats
- Missing or uneven floor tiles and bricks
- Desk or file cabinet drawers that are left open
- Floors that have been recently polished or freshly waxed
- The shoes might become the reason, if they are wet, muddy, greasy or oily soles
- Moving from one floor type to another
- Uneven walking surfaces
- Weather hazards – rain, sleet, ice, snow, hail, frost
- Wet or greasy floors
Guidelines To Avoid Slip and Fall Injuries
Here we have elaborated, some guidelines that will help you in assuring your safety:
Effective housekeeping Practices
If your housekeeping practices are poor, then this means that your house members are at a higher risk of critical injuries.
Reducing Wet or Slippery Surfaces
Once you care for your own self, you are caring for the people of the society. So, step forward clean up the wet or slippery surfaces for your own as well as for others safety.
Avoid Creating Obstacles In Your Walkways
When you will encourage to execute the safety assurance practices, everyone will do the same, such as:
- Removing obstacles from the work areas, walkways, passageways etc
- Remove the stringing cords, in the hallways, or in any other areas
- Whether at office or at home avoid leaving boxes, open drawers etc
Control Your individual Behavior
To control your own behavior and know where you are going, walking properly or not, etc will help you in avoiding the slip and fall injuries:
Maintain Proper Lighting
It is as simple as it is, that if proper lighting is maintained, then no one would be hit by something heavy or accidentally walk into someone else leading to an ultimate hit.
Wear Proper shoes
Also, you must wear proper shoes, so that if the floor is wet or it is slippery because of any other reason you will be safe from any unexpected slip or fall injury.