Shoulder pain is very common problem because the shoulder has a versatile range of motion. If anything goes wrong with our shoulder, it definitely disturbs our ability to move freely. Shoulder pain also causes a great deal of pain and discomfort. That pain can be acute or chronic. Chronic shoulder pain needs proper treatment because if the chronic shoulder pain leave untreated it will cause you serious problems.
Reasons of shoulder pain:
- Torn cartilage
- Torn rotator cuff
- Swollen bursa sacs or tendons
- Bone spurs which is bony projections that develop along the edges of bones
- Pinched nerve in the neck or shoulder
- Broken shoulder or arm bone
- Frozen shoulder
- Dislocated shoulder
- Injury due to overuse or repetitive use
- Spinal cord injury
- Heart attack
If all of these conditions left untreated than it will lead to pain that would last and interrupts you in your daily life or activities. Chronic shoulder pain treatment depends upon the cause so it is really important that doctor will properly diagnose the cause of pain.
Treatments of chronic shoulder pain:
Since it depends on the cause, chronic shoulder pain treatments vary. The goal of all these treatments is pain relief to obtain high or better quality of life. Some common chronic shoulder pain treatments which are helpful in treating pain include the following;
- Pain killers; pain killers like paracetamol or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen tablets and gels can acts as chronic shoulder pain treatment. A pharmacist should be able to give you good advice on what could work best for your condition. But don’t use them for more than two weeks without seeking further medical advice.
- Heat or cold therapy; if your shoulder is swollen than you can use ice pack as chronic shoulder pain treatment. You may use heating pad for shoulder soreness.
- Posture; bad posture can make your shoulder pain more badly. Try to sit straight or support your back with pillow, chair or cushion.
- Physiotherapy; proper or everyday physiotherapy is a good chronic shoulder pain treatment. It helps you in stretching your muscles and improves the way your shoulder works.
- Occupational therapy; if the pain interrupts with your normal life routine like driving, washing or cleaning than occupational therapist helps you by showing you that how to change the way you do things. They help you in changing your movements to avoid the shoulder pain.
- Steroid injections; these injections reduces inflammation which in turn reduce the pain. This chronic shoulder pain treatment is beneficial for some people, but it won’t work for all the cases of shoulder pain.
- surgery; most shoulder problems improves without a surgery but if the problem is still here even after all the traditional treatment methods than surgery is the option.
Pain management institute helps people to cure acute and chronic long term pain to resume a normal life style. PMI has provided many treatments like stem cell therapy and many others.
For more details call on 815.412.6166