Facet joint block is a minimally invasive procedure to provide pain relief in facet joint. Facet block injections are injected into one or more of the small joints located along the side of each vertebrae on both sides of the spine in the lower part of the back to help reduce pain. It reduces inflammation and provides long term lower back pain relief.
Objective of facet block injections:
There are two major goals of facet block injections;
- Help diagnose the cause and location of pain
- To provide pain relief
By placing numbing medicine into the facet joint, doctor will determine if the facet joint is a source of pain.
The facet block injection procedure includes following steps;
- At first, skin over the area to be tested is well cleansed with a numbing medicine which may sting for a few seconds.
- X-ray guidance or fluoroscopy has been used by the physician to direct a very small needle into the facet joint
- Small amount of contrast dye is then injected to confirm that the needle is in the joint and to check that the medication is contained inside the joint
- At last, a small mixture of anesthetic and anti-inflammatory medication; commonly steroid/cortisone is then slowly injected into the joint
The entire procedure usually takes between fifteen and thirty minutes
After care of facet block injection:
- Apply ice or a cold pack to the area of the injection site if you are feeling any pain or discomfort
- Continue taking your regular pain medicine
- You can do your regular daily activities after a day of injection
- Physical therapy or manual therapy is recommended since cortisol is working for several days after a facet block injection
- Pain relief is the primary or most important benefit
- Although you have an exposure to x-rays but no radiation remains in your body after an x-ray examination
- Allergic reaction
- Discomfort at the point of the injection
- Worsening of pain symptoms in some cases
- Nerve or spinal cord damage or paralysis
Some people will experience side effects due to steroids used in facet block injections. Side effects caused by steroids are;
- Fluid retention, weight gain, or increased appetite
- Elevated blood pressure
- Mood swings, irritability, anxiety, insomnia
- High blood sugar
- A feeling of warmth for several days
- Decrease in immunity
Pain management institute is helping people to cure acute and chronic long term pain to resume a normal life style. PMI has provided many treatments like stem cell therapy and many others.
For more details call on 815-412-6174