In order to help relieve the chest pain, intercostal nerve block is said to be as the best medication that can treat the herpes zoster infection, the shingles and/or any surgical incision. Under the rib, the steroid medication and local anaesthesia is injected in order to reduce the inflammation as well as the chronic pain.
What is the purpose of intercostals nerve block?
To alleviate the chest pain, intercostals nerve block injection is used in order to reduce the inflammation or lessen the swelling around the nerve area. The injection will help reduce the inflammation as well as the irritation in the surrounding area. In case you have had a chest surgery and you are feeling pain in the chest scar, then the intercostals nerve block would be the best option for you.
How the process goes as:
- You will be asked to lie on your stomach
- With some antiseptic and a sterile drape, your mid and lower back is cleaned
- Your skin will then be treated with anaesthesia and numbing medicine
- The target of the needle will be easily identified with the help of x-ray guidance
- In order to block the signals from reaching the brain, a local anaesthesia and a steroid injection will be administered closely to the nerve
- With the help of the cortisone, the inflammation is reduced to a greater extent thereby reducing the irritation in that area
- After this insertion the needle is then flushed and a dressing is applied onto the affected area.
Resume Work after the Procedure
Getting treated with a renowned specialist whose experience would be well enough to carry out the procedure without any complications will increase the possibility of resuming your work from the next day.
The effectiveness of the procedure
Some patients have reported the pain relief immediately after the intercostals nerve block procedure. However the pain may come back at the time when the anaesthesia wears off. In a period of two to three days, you will be able to witness the long term relief.
For how much longer your pain will be at relief varies from person to person. Some have to go for periodic injections and for some the pain relief lasts for several months.
If you or any of your loved one is suffering from chest pain or any other body pain, get a professional advice from Dr. Zaki Anwar by placing an appointment at (815) 464-7212). He is an expert anesthesiologist and certified Pain Management Specialist who has been practicing pain relief techniques for the past several years with effective results.