It is considered to be the delivery of powerful anti-inflammatory medicine that goes directly in the area outside of the sac of fluid around your spinal cord and that area is called the epidural space. Epidural Steroid Injection is not similar to epidural anesthesia which is given just before childbirth or specific sorts of surgery. It contains corticosteroid with a local anesthetic pain relief medicine. Corticosteroids are called anti-inflammatory medicines. Eliminating swelling and inflammation are able to take pressure off nerves and other soft tissues, which can reduce pain.
The process is carried out as
- You are asked to wear gown.
- You will be asked to lie face down at an x-ray table with the help of pillow which is fixed under your stomach. If your position gives you pain, you will be asked either sit up or lie on your side with a curled posture.
- The area of your back will be cleaned, where the needle has to be entered. Your doctor may take the help of medicine to numb the area. You can be given medicine to relax in order to avoid pain.
- Your doctor will enter the needle in your back and doctor will take the help of x-ray machine which will emerge current pictures of ongoing treatment to guide your doctor in inserting needle in the correct spot in lower back.
- The mixture of steroid and numbing medicines is injected into the area. It eliminates the swelling and pressure on the big nerve around your spine and helps to remove the pain.
You must remember that you may feel pressure during treatment procedure, but it does not last for a longer period of time during treatment. It is also important that during procedure you do not move because injection needs to be inserted accurately.
You would be observed by your doctor for 15 to 20 minutes after the procedure to examine your condition.
Am I a Candidate?
It is considered to be the most effective treatment for those people who have the problem of disk herniation, sciatica, nerve root compression and inflammation in spine.
How Much Time Does it Take
It takes not more than 30 minutes
How Much Time Do You Take To Recover?
Epidural steroid Injections gives short-term relief from pain for at least half of the patients who undergo this treatment and this relief hardly last for a period of one year.
Remember, this treatment does not eliminate the causes of your back pain; it just numbs the painful feeling. You can easily take on your rehabilitation program and physical therapy in this while.
- You may experience pain in the area where needle was entered and it will remove after few hours.
- You might be asked to rest for all day after the treatment.
- Your pain can get worst for 3 days after you undergo the treatment, but do not get worried as steroid mostly takes 2 to 3 days to show its positive effects
You must get the help of someone to take you to home as you are feeling sleepy after the treatment because of medicines.